- Business Litigation 50%
- Intellectual Property Litigation 50%
Gavin Parsons is a widely experienced commercial litigator who represents clients across numerous industries in high exposure civil litigation in state and federal courts, the North Carolina Business Court, and the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. He approaches each engagement with a solution-first focus, utilizing thoughtful planning, creative strategy, and resourcefulness to achieve successful resolutions for his clients in an efficient manner.
Gavin represents businesses ranging in size from large international corporations to regional and local companies, along with individuals. He has litigated claims involving business disputes, intellectual property (trademark, copyright and patent claims), unfair and deceptive trade practices, antitrust, breach of contract, business torts, land use and property rights, franchise disputes, and insurance coverage disputes. In addition to his civil litigation practice, Gavin has also represented businesses and individuals in disputes with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
Some of his representative matters include:
Successfully represented the owner of a minority interest in a limited liability company in a dispute with the majority interest holders over a buyout and valuation of his interest.
Successfully defended a petroleum supplier in a civil action brought by a competitor that challenged an encroachment granted by NCDOT. The competitor obtained a preliminary injunction that jeopardized a $12 million project. Obtained a dissolution of the injunction and summary judgment on all of the competitor’s claims.
Successfully represented trademark holders in cancellation proceedings before the United States Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Successfully represented a group of physicians before the NC Business Court in a contract dispute with a large accountable care organization that attempted to terminate the physicians’ lucrative agreement. Obtained a TRO prohibiting the termination of the agreement which resulted in an early settlement on favorable terms to our client.
Trial counsel for a nationwide book distributor in a federal jury trial involving breaches of personal guarantees, resulting in a judgment of over $29 million in favor of our client.
Successfully represented a nationwide book distributor in post-judgment proceedings seeking to enforce a $29 million judgment the debtor claimed was uncollectible. Ultimately prosecuted a federal equitable marshaling and corporate veil piercing action against the judgment debtor, his closely held companies, family limited partnerships and his mortgage holder. As a result of targeted discovery and the potential for veil piercing the debtor’s entities, successfully negotiated a significant settlement from the debtor and a release of the debtor’s collateral by the mortgage holder.
Successfully prosecuted a breach of contract action for a municipality before the NC Business Court in a dispute over the interpretation and enforcement of a regional water system agreement. Following initial motions, negotiated an early, favorable settlement which affirmed our client’s contractual rights and created additional opportunities for it to sell water to industrial and commercial customers.
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- North Carolina Supreme Court
- North Carolina Court of Appeals
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Leadership North Carolina , Class XIX
- Leadership North Carolina , Board of Directors, 2012 to 2016
Pro Bono Activities
- Appellate Counsel North Carolina Guardian Ad Litem Program, 2014 to Present
- Bailey & Dixon LLP, Associate, 2001 to 2005
- Troutman Sanders LLP, Associate, 2005 to 2010
- Troutman Sanders LLP, Partner, 01/2011 to 02/2018
Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2001
North Carolina State University
- B.A. - 1998
- Chambers USA
- Rising Star, North Carolina Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Law & Politics and Charlotte Magazine
- North Carolina Super Lawyers: Business Litigation